Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I’m having a problem with a course?

  • Talk to the instructor.  Ringling College of Art and Design instructors are more than willing to meet with you outside of class to help you.
  • If it is a First-Year Studio Course, talk to your First-Year Faculty Advisor.
  • Talk to your Academic Advisor in the Office of Advising, Records and Registration.
  • Use the services offered through the Academic Resource Center.
  • Consider making an appointment with one of the counselors in the Counseling Center.
  • Do not ignore the problem and hope it will go away.  Ringling College of Art and Design has many
    support services available for you, so please take advantage of them.

Are AP or IB courses accepted for credit?
Yes. Official transcripts must be received in the Registrar’s Office before credit can be added to your record.  A list of accepted AP tests and scores and IB scores are in the Student Handbook and on the main RCAD website under Advising, Records and Registration Services. 

Can I change my major?
Yes, however a major change may require an additional year to complete the B.F.A. or B.A. degree  
See Dr. Handy to discuss changing your major.   

Can I double-major at RCAD?
The work of each major is demanding and generally students pursue one major full time at RCAD. Double majors require five or more years to complete. 

Can I study abroad?
RCAD allows 2 Fine Arts and 4 Illustration juniors to attend an approved study abroad program such as SACI in Florence, Italy.

Can international students work on campus?
Yes, see the International Student Coordinator, Amy Pettengill, for more information. 

What should I do if I have problems in a class?
Go to the Academic Resource Center or discuss the problem with your Academic Advisor. 

When can I change my schedule?
Only during Add/Drop week which is the 1st week of school.  You must meet with your Academic Advisor. 

How many classes can I take?
Students can take 4, 5, or 6 courses 12, 15, or 18 credits.  Tuition covers a maximum of 33 credits a year.  

Can I register for more than 18 credit hours?
Yes, but you will have to pay an additional $3,180 in tuition. 

When can I declare a minor?
After you complete the first 2 courses and have registered for the 3rd course.  Then meet with your Advisor to complete the Declaration for the minor.  You must have a 3.00 G.P.A. to declare a minor. 

How do I get into a closed course?
Departments set the maximum enrollment for a course; also the size of the room determines the course enrollment.  See your Academic Advisor for advise. 

Who should I talk to about my need for disability-related accommodations?
Make an appointment to meet with the Director of the Academic Resource Center, Virginia DeMers. 

When do we register for classes for the next semester?
In November and April.  Registration is on-line using Self-Service.  Notices will be sent to you by the Registrar. 

How do I drop a course?
Discuss the implications of dropping a course with your Academic Advisor.  You must complete an official Withdraw from Class form. 

How do I get a copy of my transcript?
Official copies of your transcript can be obtained by going to the website at