Recent Ringling News:
- Community Art Classes
- Master Classes
- Learning Labs
- Open Studios
- Special Events
- Education Policies
- Contact Us
- Hours of Operation
- Information Request (PDF)
- Course Registration Form
- Silver Grand Prix
- Filberts (Bristle): #3,4,5, 6, 8, 10, 12
- Flat: I ‘/2” bristle
- Make sure that brushes are pliable and not stiff with old paint
- Suggested brands of paint: Old Holland, or Vasari (800-932-9375 in New York)
- Genuine Naples Yellow (Vasari paints)
- Raw Umber (Vasari because it is cooler, or WN)
- Yellow Ochre
- Ivory Black
- Venetian Red
- Flake White (Cremnitz White, Silver White)
- Cadmium Yellow Deep
- Alizarin Crimson (from Vasari)
- Cadmium Yellow Light
- Transparent Oxide Red (Old Holland)
- Cadmium Red Light
- Pthalo Blue (Prussian Blue, Schevingnens Blue)
- Ultramarine Blue Deep
- Burnt Umber
- Inner Glow painting panels (1-877-430-3639) for smaller sizes (under l6x20) toned with a neutral ground (burnt umber and ultra. Blue), medium value, using a paper towel to wipe off excess and even out the tone and values.
- Double primed Linen canvas (improved by adding a very thin coat of white lead with a painting knife, in order to fill the holes of the canvas for a smoother surface. Take off excess paint with a painting knife to leave a smooth surface). Allow two weeks to dry before painting on surface. Then tone as for panels above.
- Bring a variety of sizes to accommodate whatever artistic ideas might be inspired by the subject. The number of canvasses depends on your level. Beginners may want more panels ( maybe five or more panels), as he or she would probably benefit most by doing starts. More advanced students may need fewer panels as it may be helpful to work past places where the artist gets “stuck” in the studio.
- It needs to have a pliable point and not be encrusted with paint
- This knife is used to scrape paint off your palette. It should also be clean and not encrusted with paint.
Medium of Choice
- Maroger/ Old Masters Maroger/ 505-758-2382 / www.oldmastersrnaroger.com
- McGraw 1/17/05
Plastic or Glass Palette
- If you get a Plexiglas palette, peel off the side with writing and leave the other side. If you are using glass, back it with cardboard or some medium value material. White palettes make judging value more difficult. Please don’t bring paper peel-off disposable palettes.
- Paper towels