Sarasota Museum of Art
- 2015 RE: THE BASH!
- Million Dollar Match
- Lisa Hoke at SMOA
- Lisa Hoke Creating "Swept Away"
- Patrick Dougherty at SMOA
- Sticks and Clicks Photo Competition
- A Grand Design
- The SMOA Story
- History of SMOA
- About the Historic Building
- Virtual Tour of Historic SHS
- Transforming the Building
- Architectural Design
- Meet the SMOA Board
- Meet Some of Our Donors
- SHS Alumni Campaign
- Captivating ARTmuse Programs
- Social Gatherings and Events at SMOA
- Contact Us
- Support SMOA
YOU made it happen!!
Thanks to YOU, we have successfully exceeded the Campaign goal and have raised $22,543,303.
This incredible accomplishment of the initial fundraising effort is a true testimony to the people of this community. YOU are the believers who stepped forward with gifts of all sizes to see this project "come to life." YOU did it!!
With a heartfelt "thank you"—this glorious triumph gives all of us the joy of celebrating together in the transformation and rebirth of one of Sarasota's architectural icons into a bustling new museum devoted to modern and contemporary art with classroom spaces and amenities galore. What a fabulous addition to this community!
My sincerest gratitude to each and every person who put their time, effort, money, confidence and TLC to bring this to fruition so that the creation of a significant cultural jewel can be added to Sarasota's crown!
We couldn't have achieved this without YOU. I am deeply touched and appreciative.
Wendy G. Surkis
President, Sarasota Museum of Art/SMOA
Note: Renovations on the exterior will begin in July!
Sarasota Museum of Art/SMOA: Imagination in Action!
SMOA will be Sarasota’s first art museum devoted to modern and contemporary art. It's slated to be a dynamic destination for exhibiting innovative visual art of the 20th and 21st centuries. The museum will interweave exhibitions, educational programs and community outreach initiatives to engage a diverse audience and serve as a stimulating hub for creative discovery and discourse. This will be a lively and interactive destination for our community.
Together, Ringling College and SMOA will transform the former Sarasota High School, a 57,000 square foot landmark building listed on the National Register of Historic Places, into a museum complete with a 110-seat, multi-purpose auditorium, sculpture court, indoor/outdoor café, classrooms and studios, educational resource and meeting spaces. According to Wendy Surkis, president of SMOA, this new use is history-making in its own right.
“The building will regain its stature as one of the area’s most significant and recognizable structures," she says. "The reinvention of this building, which includes a glass structure, iconic in its modernity, invokes the past, the present and the future. The rebirth of the high school is exhilarating."
- Imagine experiencing the best in contemporary art and community education, designed to inspire and engage people of all ages.
- Imagine preserving a landmark architectural icon and bringing historic Sarasota High back to life as a hub for creativity, discovery, and lifelong learning.
- Imagine how meaningful it will be to leave a lasting legacy for generations to come how meaningful it will be to leave a lasting legacy for generations to come.
We are imagination in action. Come along with us on this journey as we continue to make this amazing endeavor a reality!
Wendy G. Surkis