Summer Teacher Institute has concluded. The following descriptions are for informational purposes only. Registration for this popular program will begin in mid-November, 2014.
Summer Teacher Institute 2014 brochure.
The Ringling College of Art and Design Summer Teacher Institute provides an immersive professional development experience for educators in the arts and related disciplines. This weeklong institute is designed to provide creative experiences to both introduce and explore new techniques; and to ultimately enhance instructional delivery by sharing ideas and processes that will promote and enhance arts integration into the curriculum.
Participants enroll in both a morning Monday-Friday class and an afternoon Monday-Thursday class, and have other opportunities including mini-workshops, an evening lecture, and a field trip to the Ringling Museum. Students are asked to enroll in one "digital" and one "studio based" workshop to provide for the most well-rouonded experience.
Time for communal reflection and interaction outside of the classroom is enjoyed during on-campus dining in the morning and at lunchtime. This "to the classroom and beyond" approach continues with Open Studio time available in multiple campus studios and lab classrooms.
On the final day, students participate in a debriefing session to share the week's experiences, insights, and accomplishments. Classroom practice and integration with regard to educational standards is highlighted and discussed by participants and faculty. A Closing Exhibition and Reception celebrates the week's many accomplishments, and serves as a venue for personal reflection on personal work and that of their peers.
Ringling College Continuing Studies and Special Programs awards students who successfully complete all scheduled programming 4 CEUs.
Summer Teacher Institute is funded in part by Ringling College of Art and Design. Cost: $295 that includes a $50 non-refundable reservation fee. Fees cover 40 hours of course instruction, lectures, one museum visit, closing exhibition & reception, on-campus lodging and 12 meals.
Summer Teacher Institute REFUND POLICIES
Financial Assistance: is available for those who have not previously received a scholarship to attend Summer Teacher Institute at Ringling College of Art andDesign. You must submit your request accompanied by a letter of recommendation from your school district or immediate supervisor. Please submit a completed program registration form that includes your written statement directly on online registration or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The recommendation may be submitted using our online form or as a letter sent by mail or email to email@example.com.
Summer Teacher Institute Recommendation for Financial Assistance
SUMMER TEACHER INSTITUTE CHECK-IN:
- CHECK-IN for Teacher Institute HOUSING ONLY takes place on Sunday between 1:30-3:30 PM at the Office of Residence Life in the Ann and Alfred Goldstein Residence Hall, Office of Residence Life lobby.
- CHECK-IN for the Summer Teacher Institute program is 3:30–4:00 PM in the Academic Center lobby.
- ORIENTATION is required and will be held at 4:00 PM in the Academic Center Auditorium. Orientation will include a welcome from Ringling College staff, and wrap up with a break-out meeting with the instructor of your morning workshop.
- DIGITAL ORIENTATION is also required and will be held at 4:45 PM following the meeting with your morning workshop instructor. [The break-out room assignment will be provided at check-in.]
- WELCOME DINNER is a required event for all participants and begins at 6:00 PM in the Smith Gallery of the Academic Center
The Weekday Schedule:
7:30-8:30 AM: FOR ON-CAMPUS RESIDENTS - Breakfast is served daily in Hammond Commons. (Saturday breakfast will also be available for those staying over Friday night.)
- 8:30-12 Noon: Morning Classes meet Monday-Friday
- 12:15-1:15 PM: Lunch is served daily in the Academic Center Brickman Café.
- 1:30-5:00 PM: Afternoon Classes meet Monday-Thursday, with a special schedule of events late Thursday as well as Friday afternoon.
- Weeknight Dinners: You are on your own to explore beautiful Sarasota.
- Evening Open Studio Times/Locations will be announced.
Thursday afternoon workshops will end at 4:00 PM, and we will visit The John and Mabel Ringling Museum Thursday late afternoon and evening. Bus service to/from the museum will be provided for those not preferring to carpool.
The week concludes with a Debriefing Session conducted by Dr. Wendy Dickinson, focusing on Arts Integration. This will be followed by a screening of projects from digital filmmaking, and an exhibition of art work and the congratulatory closing reception.
Teacher Institute Refund Policies:
- Program withdrawal refunds are issued only when written notification is received by June 1. Only $245 is refundable. The $50 registration fee is not refundable. Notification can be mailed or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Refunds may take up to 15 business days to process and are issued in the means payment was made to Ringling College of Art and Design.
- You may substitute someone to attend in your place up to one week prior to the program start date. At the time of substitution, the person filling your space must register with Continuing Studies and pay a $50 administrative fee.
- Ringling College will not refund the cost of any unused portion of your program.
- Ringling College reserves the right to require persons not complying with College policies to leave the program with no refund.
Course/Workshop Cancellation and Schedule Changes
CSSP instructors are working professionals. Unforeseen circumstances may deem it necessary to cancel or reassign a course. The College reserves the right to assign a substitute instructor without notice. CLICK HERE for a list of cancellations and schedule changes. Please visit the web site for updates preceding your course start.
In the event a course or workshop is cancelled, the College’s liability is limited to the return of fees paid for that course. Applications and payments are acknowledgement of the terms and conditions as outlined in our catalogs and online. The College assumes no liability for travel expenses or nonrefundable airline tickets that cannot be used due to any course or workshop cancellation, schedule change, or any misprints in our course catalog, or on our web site. All students accept full responsibility for personal injury and/or personal losses during the period of a course or workshop.
Your Right to Know
Your personal safety and the security of the campus community are of vital concern to Ringling College of Art and Design. A copy of the school’s annual security report, which contains statistics for the most recent three-year period concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, is available upon request. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the Director of Public Safety, Ringling College of Art and Design, 2700 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34234. You may request a copy by phone by calling the Office of Public Safety at 941/351-5100 or 941/351-4742. The annual security report is also available on line at the following web address: http://www.ringling.edu/campus-student-life/campus-services/public-safety/public-safety/