Sarasota Museum of Art
- A Grand Design
- Patrick Dougherty at SMOA
- Sticks and Clicks Photo Competition
- The SMOA Story
- History of SMOA
- About the Historic Building
- Virtual Tour of Historic SHS
- Transforming the Building
- Architectural Design
- Meet the SMOA Board
- Meet Some of Our Donors
- SHS Alumni Campaign
- Captivating ARTmuse Programs
- Contact Us
- Support SMOA
Sarasota Museum of Art/SMOA: Imagination in Action!
SMOA will be Sarasota’s first art museum devoted to modern and contemporary art. It's slated to be a dynamic destination for exhibiting innovative visual art of the 20th and 21st centuries. The museum will interweave exhibitions, educational programs and community outreach initiatives to engage a diverse audience and serve as a stimulating hub for creative discovery and discourse. This will be a lively and interactive destination for our community.
Together, Ringling College and SMOA will transform the former Sarasota High School, a 57,000 square foot landmark building listed on the National Register of Historic Places, into a museum complete with a 110-seat, multi-purpose auditorium, sculpture court, indoor/outdoor café, classrooms and studios, educational resource and meeting spaces. According to Wendy Surkis, president of SMOA, this new use is history-making in its own right.
“The building will regain its stature as one of the area’s most significant and recognizable structures," she says. "The reinvention of this building, which includes a glass structure, iconic in its modernity, invokes the past, the present and the future. The rebirth of the high school is exhilarating."
SMOA has made incredible strides toward achieving its $22 million fundraising goal—$14 million renovation and $8 million operating endowment—and is increasing in momentum. To date, the project has raised $15.6 million and we are 71% towards our fundraising goal.
- Imagine experiencing the best in contemporary art and community education, designed to inspire and engage people of all ages.
- Imagine preserving a landmark architectural icon and bringing historic Sarasota High back to life as a hub for creativity, discovery, and lifelong learning.
- Imagine how meaningful it will be to leave a lasting legacy for generations to come how meaningful it will be to leave a lasting legacy for generations to come.
We are imagination in action. Join us on our journey to make this amazing endeavor a reality!
Wendy G. Surkis
Patrick Dougherty's sculpture, "Out in Front," was named the Best New Work of Art in Sarasota Magazine's "Best of 2013" issue.
In the words of Sarasota Magazine, "SMOA scored a hit with Patrick Dougherty's newest 'stickwork' sculpture, 'Out in Front,' on the grounds of the old Sarasota High School, where thousands pass by every day on U.S. 41. Park your car and stroll around this intriguing fusion of nature and craft. Best part: Eager local volunteers got to help Dougherty create it.