Ulla Searing Student Center

The Ulla Searing Student Center is a five-story, 80,000-square-foot building that was built in 2006. The building was designed by Lawson Group Architects.

Located near Scott Plaza, the mixed-use building houses the:


The building was named for Ulla Searing, a Sarasota philanthropist, sometimes called the “mother of the arts.” She made major contributions to art, culture, and education institutions throughout the city, including the largest private contribution at the time, made to Ringling College. Searing was born in Sweden and immigrated to the United States after World War Two.



The site where Ulla Searing now stands was once the location of the Brinkerhoff Motel, a one-story structure with no air conditioning. The motel was purchased by the school in 1959 to be used as the men’s dormitory. In 1986 it was renovated and turned into the Robert Perkins Student Life Center. Almost two decades later, the small building was torn down to make way for the five-story and 80,000-square-foot building we know today as Ulla Searing.



1130 Greensboro Lane
Sarasota, FL 34234