It’s a new year, and with it 2023 promises to deliver an exciting new season of exhibition programming, educational courses, and art happenings at Ringling College of Art and Design and beyond.
Ringling College Galleries and Exhibitions
Ringling College’s six unique gallery spaces on campus continue with their 2022-23 exhibition season.
“Infrastructure: Connecting Spaces + Places with Art includes 25 exhibitions and related events that afford the visitor the most direct engagement with the artwork and the unique factors related to it, as well as provides cultural opportunities within the Galleries,” said Tim Jaeger, director and chief curator of Galleries and Exhibitions at Ringling College.
- During the 2023 spring semester, visitors will see the return of the annual Basch Glass exhibition. Schedule a docent tour with collector Barbara Basch. In addition, the College will exhibit an ambitious collection of Therman Statom’s large-scale glass works. Statom, one of a few African American glass artists practicing today, is considered a pioneer of the contemporary glass movement.
- You can also still catch Lost Summer now through Mar 17, a collection of landscape paintings by Ringling College alumna Lee Mayer ’72, Commercial Art, on view in The Patricia Thompson Alumni and Skylight Galleries in the historic Keating Center.
Sarasota Art Museum
Sarasota Art Museum of Ringling College is Sarasota’s first and only museum dedicated to contemporary art. The College’s dynamic, living laboratory, the Museum offers a world-class exhibition program that will surprise, delight, and inspire.
Currently open seven days a week, stop by and check out current exhibitions, Journeys to Places Known and Unknown: Moving Images by Janet Biggs and peter campus on view though Jan. 15, and you can still catch Steven and William Ladd: Lead With a Laugh through Feb. 5.
Upcoming exhibitions include:
- Photographer Richard Benson: The World Is Smarter Than You, Feb. 5 – May 7, 2023;
- Sara Berman’s Closet, a renowned installation and commentary on life and belonging, Feb 5 – May 7;
- and A Beautiful Mess: Weavers & Knotters of the Vanguard, showcasing 11 women artists pushing the boundaries of textile-based mediums.
A complete list of upcoming exhibitions, as well as information about Free Second Sundays @ SAM, The Studios @ SAM, and the Bistro and Shop is available on the Museum’s website.
OLLI at Ringling College
The OLLI winter term will be in full swing from Jan. 9 – Mar. 3. View the Course Catalog online and register for classes. Stay curious, stay connected with your local OLLI at Ringling College.
Located on the Museum Campus, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at Ringling College is on a mission to enrich the lives of mature adults (55+) in Sarasota and Manatee counties. OLLI offers affordable and outstanding educational programs, lectures, and events covering a broad spectrum of topics.