Our work at the Peterson Counseling Center could not be accomplished without the collaboration of the Ringling faculty and staff.  The true concern that you show for our students is always exemplary.  In the role of faculty and staff lies a unique opportunity of on-going direct contact with students. Faculty and staff are often in a position to identify struggling students. It is important to determine ones personal comfort level with becoming involved with student problems.  Becoming the main source of support for a distressed student can be overwhelming.  Consider your own limitations in providing assistance and know when it is best to refer students to the Counseling Center.

When should I refer a student to the Counseling Center?

A student may be asking for help if he or she exhibits several of the following warning signs:

  • Absences from class or work
  • Decline in academic performance
  • Outbursts of anger and increased interpersonal difficulties
  • Writing, talking or drawings with themes of depression or despair
  • Noticeable changes in hygiene, weight or personality style
  • Reported relationship, family problems or losses
  • Noted alcohol or substance abuse issues
  • Concerns made by peers or others who have personal contact 
  • Observable panic or anxiety

How Do I Make A Referral To The Counseling Center?

In some instances, a consultation may help sort through various concerns about a student’s difficulties.  Counseling Center staff can offer suggestions on how to refer a 
student, explore options and approaches and intervene in emergencies.  Information about a specific student who is a Counseling Center client cannot be disclosed and the student must first sign a release of confidentiality.

Referral Guidelines:

  • Suggest in a caring, supportive manner that the student may benefit from meeting with a counselor
  • Assure the student that seeking counseling is a mature decision and not a sign of weakness.
  • Assure the student that he/she will be seen in a caring, non-judgmental environment.
  • Give the student the Counseling Center number (941)-893-2855 and the opportunity to call from your office, if possible.

If necessary, walk the student to the Counseling Center
2712 Bradenton Road
How Do I Deal With A Student In Crisis?

If you are aware of a student who is not simply distressed or upset but rather out of control, or fear they might hurt themselves or others, contact Public Safety
immediately. They will ensure the physical safety of the student and will contact
the Counseling Center. Public Safety can be reached at (941) 359-7500.

    To top